Continuing on with posting recipes for salads, here’s a recipe for another simple green salad with roasted garlic dressing. With oranges going out of season, it can easily be substituted with other fruits (grapefruit, pear, or more apples). Garlic in the dressing might seem odd, but once garlic is roasted, it loses its bitter raw flavor, and becomes mild & sweet. Ever since I discovered how amazing roasted garlic is through the tomato soup
I made in winters, I have been experimenting with it ever since.
Salad Greens with Roasted Garlic Dressing
3-4 cups of Shredded/Cut Mild Greens (Mesclun Lettuce/Mixed Salad Greens)
1/4 cup of Rocket/Arugula
1 Apple – cut into slices (optional)
4 Oranges – cut into segments
¼ cup – ½ cup walnuts, toasted
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp yoghurt
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Roasted Garlic – 2 cloves (Bake garlic in a toaster oven/oven)Lemon Zest – a pinch
salt & pepper
1. Blend the ingredients for the salad dressing in a blender for 30 seconds till it is creamy. Alternatively you can add all the ingredients and whisk for about a minute. Taste & adjust seasonings if required.
2. Take a big salad bowl and add salad greens & rocket/arugula. You can increase/decrease the quantity of the specific type of salad green based on personal preference. Add fruits to bowl.
3.Toss the salad greens together with 2 tbsp of the dressing. Adjust and add more dressing if required.
4. Crush walnuts and then add them on top of the salad.
If you want to save the salad for the next day, then add the salad dressing & nuts individually into your plate otherwise the salad will start wilting once the dressing is added.
1. Fruits: Substitute the apple for pear
2. Citrus: Substitute the oranges for Mosambi or Grapefruit
3. Vegetables: Olives, capsicum, carrots or broccoli can be added/substituted
4. Protein: Add grilled paneer, grilled chicken or feta cheese to make it more filling
5. Nuts: Almonds or Pine-Nuts and even Peanuts can be substituted for walnuts
Resources (Salad Spinners & where to get salad greens in Karachi):
Salad Spinners are available at JB Saeed & Hyperstar (linked below) in Karachi and should also be available at other places.
Where to get Salad Greens in Karachi:
Sungold number, 0342-2382731, 0345-2008247:
Growing your Own – Seeds available from Crops in Pots & available from Mom’s Garden
Shops – Assortment of vegetables can be found from Agha’s, Farids, Hyperstar, Empress Market, Defence Sunday Bazaar, & a ‘Sabzi Wala’ near French Bakery at Khadda Market
How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition
The New Best Recipe by Cooks Illustrated Magazine