This easy mango mousse requires 4 ingredients only and can be made in less than 15 minutes. All you need is mango puree, cream and sugar with crushed cardamom adding a subtle aroma and flavor to this airy and light mousse. It’s also vegetarian friendly as this is an eggless no gelatin mango mousse recipe.
It's been a while since I posted a recipe. Last month was super busy with quite a few things happening in life at once. That resulted in me taking things slow for a few weeks to relax, and build up a routine. It's made me realize how important it is to take a break ever so often to rejuvenate and recharge. I am back now, and will get working on that huge back log of recipes.
Sharing a super simple recipe today - mango mousse flavored with cardamom for a Desi kick. The sweetness of the mango complements the smoky warm notes of the cardamom so well. It’s the perfect summer dessert, especially when taken chilled out of the fridge. In fact, I tested this mango mousse recipe 6 months ago when it was summer in Australia. But I have to wait to share it till it's summer in the rest of the world.
Mango Mousse with Cardamom – the ingredients:
- Mango Puree: For this recipe you can use fresh mangoes to make mango puree, or you can use canned mango puree from an Indian / Pakistani store. If you are using fresh mangoes, you will need to adjust sweetness based on the variety and ripeness of the mango. Canned mango puree is on the sweet side, so will not need as much sugar.
- Cream: Whip the cream till soft peaks form, then add the powdered a tablespoon at a time. Whip on high speed till stiff peaks form.
- Icing Sugar / Powdered Sugar: Also known as confectioners sugar, this is needed to stabilize the whipped cream and help it form stiff peaks. Make sure to sift before using, so that lumps aren’t formed.
- Cardamom: In this recipe I have used a combination of cardamom powder and crushed cardamom seeds. If you don’t have cardamom pods (or seeds), you can add more of the cardamom powder. But I would highly recommend using crushed cardamom seeds if possible because the smell is heavenly.
- Toppings: Though the mango mousse is delicious on its own, the toppings add an additional flavor element, and colour to this simple dessert. I have used rose petals, sliced pistachios and mango puree. You can use your favourite type of nut, toasted coconut or whipped cream. You can also add mango slices, or any other fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, or peaches.
Does this mango mousse have eggs?
No need to worry about raw eggs! This is an eggless mango mousse.
Does this mango mousse have gelatin?
There is no gelatin in this recipe, making it a vegetarian friendly mango mousse recipe. To make it vegan friendly, you can substitute the dairy cream for a dairy free option, or coconut cream. Since it doesn’t have gelatin, the texture is not as firm, and is on the creamier side which I personally prefer. Since the texture is on the creamy side, I prefer to serve it in small glasses or bowls rather than a big serving dish.
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
If you are looking for more dessert recipes, do try out the following:
- 3 ingredient coconut ladoos (Coconut caramel fudge balls)
- Nan Khatai (Pakistani cardamom flavored shortbread biscuits)
- No Bake Mango Cheesecake in Jars
- Fruit Chaat
- Cardamom Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Easy Mango Mousse with Cardamom (No Eggs or Gelatin)
- 300 ml / 1 ¾ cup cream
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup mango puree plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 cardamom seeds crushed
- Sliced pistachios for garnish
- Rose petals for garnish
- Place cream in a large bowl. Whip on medium speed till soft peaks form.
- Sift over the powdered sugar, and whip on high speed till stiff peaks form.
- Add the cardamom powder, crushed cardamom seeds and mango puree. Fold through with a spatula, to evenly incorporate the mango puree.
- Place the mango mousse into small glasses or small bowls.
- Garnish with mango puree, sliced pistachios and/or rose petals.