Sweet and tangy imli chutney is made from tamarind pulp, sugar and spices. It is the perfect accompaniment to Pakistani street food snacks such as dahi baray, chaat, samosa and more.
After posting the mash ki daal kay dahi baray recipe, my next post had to be about imli ki chutney / tamarind chutney because after all, imli ki chutney is essential with dahi baray. Please note that this is not my recipe, but my mother’s recipe which makes it all the more special. In fact, most of my traditional Pakistani recipes are my mother’s recipes because nothing better than ‘Ammi kay haath ka khana’.
Click HERE for my Ramadan meal planner and sample menu guideline for iftar, sehri and dinner.
Click HERE for tips on how to prepare for Ramadan and eat healthy in the month.
If you are looking for recipes, all the Ramadan recipes on my blog can be found HERE. Keep checking back regularly as I plan to add more recipes soon.
Imli chutney or tamarind chutney
- ½ cup seedless tamarind pulp
- ½ cup sugar
- salt to taste
- red chili powder to taste
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin seeds / bhuna zeera
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder optional
- ½ teaspoon vinegar optional
- Place tamarind pulp in a medium sized bowl, and add warm water. Soak for a few hours.
- Take a large bowl, and place a strainer / colander on top of it. Wash your hands, and then strain the tamarind through. Use your hands or a spoon to help in straining the soaked tamarind through. This step can be messy but it’s essential to ensure that all the delicious tamarind pulp is squeezed through (without the skin and seeds, of course).
- Place the strained tamarind pulp in a small sauce-pan, and bring to a boil on low-medium heat. Add sugar, salt and red chili powder to taste. Keep on low heat, while heating, till the tamarind pulp thickens into a sauce like consistency.
- Take off heat, and then add roasted cumin seeds (bhuna zeera) and ginger powder. Vinegar can be added as a preservative at this stage, if using.
- Let the tamarind chutney cool, and then pour into an air-tight bottle. Refrigerate and serve as needed with dahi baray or other snacks.