Inspired by the version at Kolachi, this recipe of paneer reshmi handi consists of boneless chickenin a rich & creamy sauce flavored with coconut & green chili’s. Just the thing to impress friends & family.
If a visitor comes to Karachi and you have to take them to just one restaurant in the city where would you go?
That's pretty much the answer everyone would give.
Why? Is it because of:
- The ambiance or
- The food or
- The service
Fortunately for us one would be left wondering what to pick because all of them are true.
The food is delicious both in terms of flavor and variety. They make sure it’s served steaming hot inspite of the fact that its next to the sea so there's a constant sea breeze. Then the customer service - the appetizers will be served early and the main course will be served later and always on the stated time.
There will be someone who will ask for your experience and just in case there was an issue, minor as it maybe be; they will do their utmost t fix it and make sure you leave satisfied.
No wonder people keep coming here again and again. The popularity of the restaurant can be seen from the fact that even with three floors and a table turnaround time of 45 minutes to an hour there is almost always a waiting line.
As you can tell it’s one of my most favorite restaurants in town – a place where I can take an important guest and not have to worry about anything.
This recipe today is inspired by one of their many specials on their menu, the Paneer Reshmi Handi. The one at Kolachi is served in a Handi (claypot) – boneless pieces of tender & juicy chicken in a delicately spiced cream sauce. It’s sinful indulgence especially with some aromatic and crispy garlic naan on the side.
My recipe obviously cannot compare to the original but it is a pretty delicious version of the same dish and probably just a teensy bit healthier as well. Just perfect for those days when you want to make something decadent and comforting for yourself or are unable to go to your favourite restaurant in town.
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
Paneer Reshmi Handi
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped (will be blended)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 300 grams chicken
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds bhuna zeera
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder dhaniya powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup yoghurt
- 2 green chili’s seeded & chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut powder
- ½ capsicum thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Sliced ginger for garnish
- Green Chili’s for garnish
- Blend onion with a little water to make onion paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil. Add ginger & garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add onion paste and cook on low flame till light golden (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add chicken and cook for a few minutes till it changes color. Add cumin seeds, coriander powder, salt and white pepper. Cook for a minute.
- Blend yoghurt, green chili’s and coconut powder with about 2-3 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Add green chili & coconut paste to the chicken. Cover the pot and cook on low simmer for about 20 minutes till chicken is tender. Add water if required.
- Add sliced capsicums and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cream, butter and cheese. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes till gravy becomes thick and creamy.
- Serve hot garnished with sliced ginger and green chili’s.