This almond cake is a delicate tea-time cake featuring a triple dose of almond flavor. Almond essence and crushed almonds in the batter, and topped with crunchy roasted almonds on top.
Almost everyone who bakes usually has a good plain/pound cake recipe - something that can be eaten on it's own or with tea. A light cake that the whole family can enjoy without feeling too full. This cake is a family favorite, and I make it all the time. I consider this an all-rounder cake; it's delicious served on it's own but it can also be served as a secondary dessert at parties as a contrast to a grand dessert. That's a reason why I prefer making it on parties (especially Eid) for people who would like to have something light for dessert and might not prefer fudgy chocolate cakes. It can easily be made ahead and kept for at least 3-4 days (provided there's enough left 🙂 ).
- 1 ⅓ cups flour (6 ounce) 6 ounce
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp sugar (6 ounce) 6 ounce
- ¾ cup vegetable oil (5 ounce) 5 ounce
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons coarsely ground almonds I have a manual nuts mill which I use to coarsely grind the almonds - I like the crunchy texture in the mouth so I coarsely ground the almonds but can be processed more finely based on personal preference
- ¼ teaspoon almond essence can be increased to ½ teaspoon if a stronger almond flavor is preferred
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup sliced almonds I prefer slicing them with the skin on, since it creates a better contrast with the white cake, but its easier to slice them if the almonds are blanched in hot water and skins removed
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C. Line baking pan with parchment paper and grease well with oil/butter.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Beat sugar and oil together till mixed - about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add ground almonds, almond essence and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add flour and baking mixture and fold with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour into baking tray.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top for garnish - they will get toasted in the oven and get crisp. If you prefer the almonds untoasted, then you can add them in the end after taking out the cake.
- Bake at 200 C for 25 - 30 minutes till skewer comes out with moist crumbs. If recipe is doubled for 13x9 inch pan, then it needs to be baked for about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe can be doubled for one 13x9 rectangular baking pan (this is how I usually make it because its a family favourite)
If you are looking for other dessert recipes, do try out the following:
- Banana Bread
- Caramel Chocolate Brownies
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pavlova with Salted Caramel & Strawberries
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!