I planned on clubbing this mushroom sauce with a steak recipe but then I remembered all the ways I actually eat this sauce, and then realised that no - this creamy mushroom sauce deserves to have a post of its own.
I actually made this mushroom sauce to serve with steaks, but ended up having with everything else. With the grilled chicken I made for myself since I rarely eat steak, with the mashed potatoes, with the vegetable sides, and in the end with a spoon because it was just so good.
How to make creamy mushroom sauce?
Start off with frying garlic and onions in butter. Then add the mushrooms and cook them till they are golden brown. Fresh mushrooms are best for this sauce but in case they are not available, canned mushrooms can be used.
Once the mushrooms are golden brown, start making the sauce. The sauce is similar to a French roux or white sauce, and is made by adding flour and sauteing it for a minute or two to let the raw flavour disappear. Add a chicken cube followed by milk, and cook for a couple of minutes till the sauce thickens. Make sure to stir constantly with a whisk to prevent lumps. Season with spices, and take off the heat.
The sauce can be made in advance - a couple of hours and even a day. It will thicken upon cooling so to heat up, just add a few tablespoons of milk and heat on low simmer till it comes together.
So what can you serve with this oh so delicious sauce!
Meat: The most obvious is steak and grilled chicken. I am not a big fan of red meat so whenever my husband makes steak, I will make grilled chicken for myself along with this creamy mushroom sauce and we will both smother our preferred protein with this sauce.
Potatoes: Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, roast potatoes - this sauce tastes equally good with all of them.
Vegetables: So I wouldn’t serve this sauce with a Desi style vegetable sabzi, but steamed or grilled vegetables with a side of this mushroom sauce would taste absolutely delish. Just keep the seasonings simple - salt, black pepper and maybe some red chilli flakes.
Pasta: This mushroom sauce would be fantastic tossed through spaghetti or pasta. Serve as is, or add some grilled chicken on top.
Looking for more dinner inspiration. Check out some of the following recipes from the blog:
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Chicken Paprika Straganoff
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole Bake
- Chilli Garlic Fried Rice
- Chicken Pot Pie
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
Creamy mushroom sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 250 grams mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock or use 1 stock cube dissolved in water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Italian herbs
- Heat butter and oil in a small saucepan.
- Add sliced garlic and fry for about a minute till light golden.
- Add onions and sauté till soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook till golden brown and water has evaporated. This will take about 5 - 6 minutes. Reserve a few mushrooms for garnish.
- Add flour and sauté for a minute or so till the raw flavour disappears.
- Add milk and vegetable stock and cook on low heat till the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Make sure to stir vigorously with a whisk at this stage to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Once the sauce is thickened, season with salt, black pepper powder, red chili powder or flakes and Italian herbs.
- Taste and adjust seasoning at this point. In case the sauce is too thicken, add a few tablespoons of milk.
- Garnish with mushrooms on top and serve hot.
- Serve with beef steaks, grilled chicken, mashed potatoes or vegetables.