This healthy chicken Manchurian sauce is made by pan-frying boneless chicken cubes in olive oil. Toss in a flavorful sauce, seasoned with Chinese spices and sauces.
It’s important to eat healthy, not just to lose weight but to keep fit and energetic. At least that’s my goal – a healthy lifestyle where I am not weak and have the stamina to do chores.
Whenever it comes to eating healthy, focus should always be on lifestyle changes because they are sustainable in the long-run versus fad diets which are always short-term. Incremental changes on a daily basis to meals and fitness routines are the way to go. As easy as it sounds, this is actually hard to achieve mostly because the recipes and guidelines found online are difficult for our cultural habits. Ever since childhood, our daily meals have comprised daal, sabzi, salan, roti or chawal and then suddenly we are supposed to eat grilled chicken and egg whites. Twice a day every day. For the first few days, it is still doable but after a while it’s painfully boring.
That is why I try to come up with recipes that are familiar yet healthy. Just like this chicken Manchurian sauce. Instead of making a batter and deep-frying the boneless chicken cubes, I used 400 gms of my ultimate chicken stir-fried in just about ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
Quickly make this sauce, add the chicken and sprinkle sliced spring onion on top. Serve with brown rice. It makes a delicious dinner with leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. In case you prefer more protein just add more vegetables like broccoli, green beans, yellow or red capsicum, and maybe even tofu or paneer.
So skip the fad diets and make small changes that will have long-term benefits. Substitute chakki ka atta for the regular atta used to make roti. Substitute brown rice for white rice and bran bread for white bread. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Skip the sugar in the tea and switch to skim milk.
Are you trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle? Let me know the changes that you have made in the comments below. Do let me know once you have tried out the recipe, and give it a rating as well.
Healthy Chicken Manchurian Sauce
- 400 grams ultimate pan-fried chicken
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- 1 carrot chopped (I don’t like carrot so I didn’t add it, but you can)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Water or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in water
- Spring onions sliced, for garnish
- Marinate and cook meat from the ultimate pan-fried chicken recipe. Set aside.
- Heat oil. Add garlic and saute till light golden. Add onion, followed by capsicum and carrot. Saute for about a minute.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, salt, red chili flakes and white pepper. Mix together and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water or chicken stock (about 1 – 1 ½ cups, as per preference). If using chicken stock, make sure to adjust salt accordingly. Bring the sauce to a boil, and add the cooked chicken. Let the sauce cook for a few minutes and let the chicken heat through.
- Add cornflour, dissolved in water to the sauce and cook till it thickens.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Garnish with green onions, and serve hot with brown rice.