Onions, carrots, potatoes, capsicum, corn and more come together to make this super vibrant restaurant style vegetable jalfrezi. Serve this vegetarian / vegan dish with rice on the side.
I had an abundance of leftover vegetables in the fridge. By leftover, I mean half a capsicum, one onion, a one serving bag of mixed frozen vegetables, and frozen peas. Not enough to make a dish on their own so I just wanted a recipe in which I can use everything and clean out my fridge at the same time. Was looking through inspiration from my cookbooks and came across a recipe of vegetable jalfrezi from the book ‘from zubeida tariq’s kitchen’ and of course the author was Zupaida Apa. Exactly what I needed to use up everything together!
I made a couple of changes in the ingredients and the cooking method so this recipe is an adaption of the original. I used the vegetables that I had in the fridge but you can substitute based on what you have. For instance, use green beans, cauliflower or butternut squash, or eggplant. Just make sure to adjust cooking time accordingly. Serve this super colourful vegetable jalfrezi with rice or roti.
Try out the recipe, rate it, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
- 2 potatoes sliced (like French fries)
- 2 tablespoons oil plus more for frying
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger julienne cut
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- 1 carrot cubed
- ½ red capsicum cut into quarters
- ½ green capsicum cut into quarters
- ½ cup peas
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup broccoli cut into florets (optional)
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes adjust to taste
- ¼ cup fresh coriander to garnish
- 2 green chilies sliced, for garnish
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes just like french fries.
- Heat oil, and shallow fry or deep fry the potatoes till golden brown. Drain on a kitchen towel and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and add sliced ginger and garlic. Saute for a minute and then add whole red chilies.
- Cook for a minute, and then start adding the vegetables. Start off with the onions, then add carrots, followed by capsicum. Add corns, peas, and broccoli in the end.
- Cook the vegetables a few minutes and then add the fried sliced potatoes.
- Add tomato puree, tomato ketchup, vinegar, soya sauce and season with salt, black pepper and red chili flakes.
- Mix together, add a splash of water and then cover the dish leaving to cook for about 5 – 10 minutes. If more gravy is preferred then add more water.
- Turn off heat, and garnish with coriander and green chilies.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.