This potato and peas curry (aloo matar sabzi) is a family favourite! It’s a vegan recipe that’s super easy to whip up and absolutely delicious.
Growing up, this recipe was a regular as part of our weekly dinner menus. Needing just a few pantry staple ingredients, it’s super quick to make. It can be served as a main dish for a family dinner or as a side dish for a party. The amount of gravy depends on personal preference but I would always prefer to keep more gravy so it’s easy to eat with both roti (bread) and rice.
This is so simple that it will be ready in less than 30 minutes, but if you want to cut down on prep time even further, here are some further tips.
- Use canned tomatoes – I always have canned tomatoes in my pantry so I can whip up a curry quickly. I prefer to use whole canned tomatoes or crushed tomatoes as they make a better gravy than diced.
- Use frozen peas – don’t bother with peeling the peas by hand, and just use frozen peas.
If you are looking for other vegetarian recipes, do try out the following:
- Aloo Baighan (Potato with Eggplant Curry)
- Aloo Hari Piyaaz (Potato curry with Spring Onions)
- Baigan ki Borani (Eggplant with Yoghurt)
- Kaali daal or khari masoor ki daal (Black gram lentils)
- Black eyed peas curry or Lobia ka salan (Stovetop and Pressure Cooker method)
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
Aloo Matar ki Sabzi
This potato and peas curry (aloo matar sabzi) is a family favourite! It's a vegan recipe that's super easy to whip up and absolutely delicious.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds zeera
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper
- A pinch of turmeric
- 3 - 4 medium potatoes small cubes
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup coriander dhaniya, for garnish
- 2 green chilies for garnish
Heat oil. Add onions and fry till light brown.
Add cumin seeds and cook for a few seconds till they splutter.
Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric & chili pepper after the cumin seeds have popped and you can smell the aroma. Cook tomatoes for 5 – 10 minutes while mashing with a wooden spoon.
Add potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add peas with 1 cup water. If you prefer a dryer sabzi then add only 1/4th cup of water.
Cook till potatoes are tender and desired level of gravy is reached. Garnish with green chili and coriander.