Black eyed peas curry or lobia ka salan is a Pakistani vegan recipe made with lobia / black eyed peas in an onion-tomato gravy base with garlic and aromatic spices. It can be made in a regular pot or in a pressure cooker / Instant Pot.
Growing up, we always used to eat a lot of vegetables (still do, actually). My father is someone who believes in having a balanced & healthy diet, and would eat meat-less dishes in many forms; be it daal or a simple sabzi, chole or more. My mother is an excellent cook who would always keep experimenting in order to introduce variety to the dinner table.
For instance, this black eyed peas curry or lobia ka salan; the base of which is a standard Pakistani salan base – garlic paste, onions, tomato and spices. Coriander and green chili to finish it off. Just a simple recipe that focuses on the flavours of the lobia or black eyed peas as they are called in English.
I usually make the recipe on the stove top, but I recently invested in an electric pressure cooker from Philips, and tried making the recipe in that. It turned out exactly the same, just in less time. Just go to the notes section to read up on how to make it in the pressure cooker.
To check out other vegetarian recipes on the blog, just click HERE.
Try out the recipe, rate it, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
Lobia ka Salan Recipe or Black Eyed Peas Curry Recipe | Stovetop and Pressure Cooker Method
- 1 cup lobia or black eyed peas
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- ½ cup coriander chopped
- 1 green chili sliced
- Wash and soak lobia or black eyed peas for 6 – 8 hours, or overnight.
- Heat oil. Add sliced onions, and cook till golden brown.
- Add garlic paste, followed by coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir and cook for a minute till the spices release their aroma.
- Add tomatoes, and cook for 4 – 5 minutes till they soften and oil starts releasing.
- Drain the soaked lobia, and add to the onion – tomato mixture.
- Stir together, add about 1 – 1 ½ cup water, and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn heat to low, and cook for about 30 – 40 minutes till the lobia / black eyed peas are tender. The water will have evaporated, and you will be left with a thick gravy. Adjust the water content based on how gravy is preferred.
- Add coriander, and green chilies. Cook for a minute or so, and then serve hot.
- Soak lobia for an hour.
- Add oil in the pressure cooker. If using an electric pressure cooker, use the saute/sear high temp setting, and let the onions cook. If using a Desi pressure cooker, keep heat to medium.
- Turn setting to saute/sear low temp, and then add spices, tomatoes and the lobia. If using a Desi pressure cooker, turn heat to low. Let the tomatoes soften, and then add lobia along with a cup of water.
- Close the lid, and pressure cook on the beans/lentils setting. I pressure cooked for 20 minutes, but settings will differ from model to model. Let the pressure release, and open the cooker carefully based on settings. Add coriander, and green chilies, and serve hot.