Requiring just 3 ingredients and 20 minutes in the oven, coconut macaroons are a simple and delicious crowd pleasing dessert.
Not to be confused with the French macaron, coconut macaroons are one of the simplest desserts ever. All that is required is mixing 3 ingredients and 15 – 20 minutes in the oven resulting in cookies that are crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside.
The macaroons are delicious plain, but they are open to many variations depending on personal preference. For instance, they can be dipped in melted chocolate (choose between milk, white or dark) to make them taste even more scrumptious. Or crushed nuts like almonds or pistachios can be added to add more crunch.
Once cooled, these cookies can be kept in an air-tight container for a couple of days, if they don’t end up being eaten within minutes of being made. Add a pinch of food colour (or not), and make a batch of colourful cookies that would be a mouth-watering treat to serve at parties or to give as gifts.
If you are looking for another dessert with less than 3 ingredients, try out the elephant palmiers recipe up on the blog.
- 3¼ - 4 cups shredded coconut
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk about ½ can
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line two cookie sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place the condensed milk and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the coconut in 1 cup increments and mix with a spoon. Make sure the coconut and the condensed milk are completely mixed through, with the resulting mixture being sticky but not too wet. In case the mixture is too wet, add more coconut, as needed.
- Use a tablespoon to place the coconut mixture on the prepared cookie sheet, keeping about an inch apart from the cookies. A spatula or spoon can be used to smooth the tops if needed.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes till golden brown on top. Remove from the oven, and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- The coconut macaroons can be stored in an air-tight container for 4 days.