These crispy and crunchy potato and chicken croquettes are made with mashed potato, chicken, capsicum and noodles coated with breadcrumbs to create a delicious fried snack.
I vividly remember the time when a consumer goods company launched frozen croquettes back in Pakistan. I had them at a friends place and absolutely loved them. Little oval balls of mashed potatoes and chicken coated with bread crumbs and fried till crispy. As much as I loved eating them, they were on the pricey side and buying them was a luxury.
A few months after that my mother went to a family friend's place and over there they had served croquettes. Home-made croquettes! My mother asked for the recipe, made a few adjustments and since then we have been making these potato and cheese croquettes at home.
Though these croquettes are best enjoyed as a snack with chai, or as part of the iftar table in Ramadan they can also be a part of a school or office lunchbox or added in sandwiches. In fact, there have been many times when I have fried off some croquettes from the freezer, squashed them into a sandwich, added cheese and sriracha sauce to make a delicious sandwich.
How to make the potato and chicken croquettes?
Start off with boiling and mashing potatoes. Add cooked shredded chicken, along with finely chopped capsicum. To save time, just pulse the chicken and capsicum into small pieces in a food processor. Add spices and mix together. Make oval balls of the potato and chicken mixture, dip in flour, egg and then bread crumbs. Though any shape can be made, the croquettes always look best as small ovals. Heat oil, fry till crispy and serve with tomato ketchup or chutney.
How to freeze potato and chicken croquettes?
A question that I get often is whether it's possible to freeze these croquettes as they are made with potato. The answer is yes, you can! Generally it's advised not to store potatoes in the freezer as they get soft and mushy when exposed to the freezer air. However, in this case the potatoes are not only cooked and mashed together but they are also coated with flour and breadcrumbs which protects them. To be extra careful make sure they are coated properly, not just with the bread crumbs but also the flour from all sides. Also, try to use them within 2 - 3 months instead of keeping them in the freezer indefinitely.
Some other snack recipes that you can try are:
Would love it if you could try out and rate the recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments below!
Potato and chicken croquettes
- 250 grams boneless chicken cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 600 grams potatoes
- 2 small capsicum
- 1 packet instant noodles, chicken flavour if not available then use 50 grams noodles / spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour or as needed
- 2 cups bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs use as needed
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- Marinate chicken with ginger paste, garlic paste, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, white pepper and salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan, and add the marinated chicken. Cook for about 10 – 15 minutes till chicken is cooked through, and water has dried.
- Place the chicken in a bowl to cool.
- Once the chicken is cool, place the chicken in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds till cut into small pieces. Alternatively, shred the chicken into small pieces by hand.
- Peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Place the mashed potatoes in a bowl.
- Finely chop the capsicum. Alternatively you can also pulse it for a few seconds in the processor to save time.
- Crush the instant noodles into small pieces. Make the instant noodles as per packet instructions, making sure there is minimal water in the final noodles. Add the seasoning packet and mix together. If not using instant noodles, take 50 grams of spaghetti and break into small pieces. Boil till it is cooked through. Drain the water and add to the mashed potatoes mixture.
- Add capsicum, shredded chicken and instant noodles in the mashed potatoes mixture.
- Add chilli flakes, lemon juice/vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper and white pepper. If using spaghetti instead of instant noodles, add a chicken cube. Mix together well. Taste and adjust seasonings as required.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 – 45 minutes to firm up.
- In the meanwhile prepare an assembly line for the coating. Place flour in a plate / deep bowl. Whisk the eggs with 2 tablespoon water in a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs in a plate / deep bowl.
- Make oval shaped balls of the potato and chicken mixture. Dip in flour, then egg mixture and then finaly the breadcrumbs mixture. Make sure the croquettes are coated properly.
- Heat oil in a wok/karhai and then deep fry the croquettes till golden brown.